Monday, March 30, 2015

A Brief History Of The World

I woke up in the morning on the hotel bed. I got up, a little groggy, and realized I was hungry So, I went to the minifridge, which I had stocked with some cheap microwavable food, and opened it up. I was somewhat surprised to see that, amidst all the stuff I had brought, there was also two twelve packs of Diet Dr. Pepper cans. I just kind of stared at them for a while before recalling the events of the previous afternoon. Of course. Accel. How could I forget?
I looked around the hotel room and noticed he wasn't there. Shrugging, I grabbed a breakfast burrito, and after a bit of debate, one of his sodas to wash it down with. As far as I'm concerned, he still owes me for dragging me into this mess, so I figured it served him right to lose one of his precious Dr. Peppers.
I heated up my cheap breakfast, and started eating. I was only a few bites in when the door swung open, and Accel entered. He ignored me and opened up the fridge He just stared inside for a while, then turned to look at me, then he glanced at the open soda on the table next to me.
“Dude...,” he said.
“Hey,” I said. “You still owe me for all the crazy shit you decided to drag me into.”
He blinked a couple times, then started laughing.
“What's so funny?” I asked.
He shook his head a couple times before answering.
“Yeah,” he said. “I guess I do.”
He grabbed a soda then sat down at the foot of the hotel bed and started drinking. I decided that then was as good a time as any to try getting some answers out of him.
“So, what's the deal with those Fear things?” I asked.
He killed his soda and crushed the can.
“How much do you wanna know?” he asked.
“Everything,” I said. “What are they? How many are there? How long have they been around?”
He sighed, and got himself another soda. Then he drew a switchblade from his pocket and stabbed it into the can. He placed his mouth over the hole he had made and shotgunned the thing like a college student with a can of budweiser. Then he threw that can away and got another one. Geez. Addicted, much?
“The Fears are beings the embody the things people are afraid of,” he said. “They've been around for as long as mankind has been afraid of things. The Archangel, for example, is the Fear of what lies beyond The afterlife. There's about 29 others like him out there.”
“So 30 total?” I asked.
“Approximately,” he said “That's how many we're aware of. Anyway, they became pretty active about... it's 2015, right?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“Right,” he said. “About five years ago.”
“What was with them before then?” I asked.
“They were sealed away,” Accel said. “Someone called Kaos was involved.”
“How'd they get free? I asked.
He became silent for a minute I realized he was uneasy about the topic. After a while, he sighed and started speaking.
“The first of us,” he said. “A Godsent. No one knows how or why he was created, but he was strong. The most powerful Godsent to ever exist. None of us no how, or why, but he set them free. They were weak at first, but after a hundred and fifty years, they regained their full strength, and were able to amass followers. And to balance the scales, we were created. New Godsent, created by a higher power none of us fully comprehend. Our sole purpose is to protect mankind from the Fears and their servants.”
He fell silent again, and after a little while, I decided to ask a question that was floating through my mind.
“That first Godsent,” I said. “The one who freed the Fears. What happened to him?”
Accel finished his soda and sighed.
“He's still out there,” he said. “He's our greatest enemy. A monster. A killer. The catalyst who started this insane war.”
“And what about us?” I asked. “What's our deal?”
“Well, there's quite a few of us out there,” Accel said. “Most of us are members of the Administration. We all have special powers, which are called God powers, and we all wield God Weapons.”
“You mean like that gun of yours?” I asked. “Where is that thing, anyway?”
Accel chuckled, and reached into his pocket. He withdrew a large bullet, and held it in his palm. Then, in a flash of light, it transformed into the giant Gatling Gun he had been wielding before.
“Whoa!” I gasped
“The Magical Gatling Gun!” he announced. “All God Weapons have a sealed state. Makes it easier to carry them around.”
Okay, I guess the Godsent business has some perks I can look forward to.
“So when do I get mine?” I asked.
“Yours will present itself when you discover your center,” Accel said.
“My center?” I asked.
“The soft, chewy filling within yourself,” Accel said. “The thing that makes you you.”
“Soft chewy filling?” I asked. “Really?”
“Shut up,” he said, going to get a soda. “Once you realize what it is, you'll get your weapon.”
“What's your center?” I asked.
He chuckled.
“I'm a badass!” he said, cheerfully.
“No, really?” I asked.
“I'm a badass,” he insisted.
“Fine, don't tell me,” I said. “So what about my God Power?”
“I'll help you awaken it,” he said, cracking open his newest soda. “But before you can learn to fight with your power, you have to learn to fight without it.”
“What?” I asked.
He took several swigs before elaborating.
“Finish your soda,” he said. “Then, we train.”
And thus began my rigorous training with a self-proclaimed badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment